Monday, November 28, 2005

Mom's plea for Zimbabwe

First: A message from Mom:
Since I don't really have time to read anything in the news lately, my mom wants me to pass the message on to everyone that the shit is hitting the fan over in Zimbabwe. She urges everyone (including myself) to visit Amnesty International's site http://www.amnesty.ca and do whatever's possible in helping to persuade the international community to get off its' ass and prevent yet another atrocity in Africa.
(She didn't use such colourful language, I should mention)
Here's a little bit of what's going down over there:
"Today in Zimbabwe, hundreds of thousands of people are internally displaced and destitute, not because of a war, an earthquake or a tsunami, but because their own government has forcibly evicted them, demolished their homes, and destroyed their property and their livelihoods. These acts, totally unjustifiable under international law, have been widely condemned. However, African States have remained conspicuously silent and have not demonstrated the political will to respond to the human rights crisis in Zimbabwe. "
On this note, I've finished my third essay about the Rwandan genocide tonight. And I can't help but think that, up until first year, I had no idea that violence of that magnitude had ever occured apart from during the Holocaust. Call me naive and uninformed, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that, they don't teach this stuff in history classes in high school. Maybe it was just my school, because people in Ottawa seem more informed about so many things "international." Maybe it's the proximity of the Parliament, where everyone goes to protest his or her grievances. Maybe it's the multicultural population. Regardless, someone should be passing this information down the school board so that kids can learn about these things and learn that they are wrong. And then, instead of ONLY teaching them things that happened over 50 years ago (I'm not saying we shouldn't study History, I think it's VERY important to study History so that it doesn't repeat itself...) they should probably receive lessons on the pertinent PRESENT happenings, and NOT ONLY those taking place in Canada, (like the Christmas, no February, no November, no January, no WHENEVER the stupid election's going to take place...) (Sidenote, did anyone see all the Westerners boo-ing Martin @ the football game tonight?)
Here's a SMALL exurp from my essay (actually, it's the concluding sentences)
"The prevention of violence implies a responsibility from the international community, who promised to “never again” allow for such grand-scale atrocities. Rwanda is but one of the failures of the international community to execute this principle."
*Note the double-entente with the word excecute. It's reaching. Not very obvious, but I think if I can make a connection someone else can too. (Hopefully that someone will be the prof)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff little Sis, fight the power!