Sunday, October 16, 2005

All I know, I learned from Star Trek Voyager



The past week has found Ottawa under a gloomy, overcast sky, with nothing to look forward to, except -40' weather. But, I have left the clouds behind, floated on into space, and got lost out in the Delta quadrant with the cast of Voyager. I know, I'm lame, but I'm up to season 7. They're so close to getting back home, I can TASTE it! I find myself daydreaming in my poli-sci classes, thinking up crazy adventures for the crew as they take their final episodes back to Earth. Yes, I confess, I like Star Trek. But, "well, I don't like Deep Space Nine!"

On the subject of poli-sci classes, I'm facing a pretty hefty decision as to whether or not I should continue with the french program, or leave all that heritage behind and switch over to the English program. At least there I won't feel like a big target, with a sign tagged onto my back that says: "I've never seen Les Boys" on it. I guess I've always felt relatively left out from the francophone group as I, well, rarely speak french in any of my classes, or anywhere else for that matter, but this all forced itself upon me recently in my political sociology class. I was meant to make a presentation about this text that I read, which I firstly, didn't completely grasp, and secondly, didn't fully understand. Regardless, I stumbled through the entire thing and felt like a prize ass. Maybe if I didn't feel as if I was being judged for having let down the spirit of a nation or something, I would be a bit more comfortable in these situations and I'd embrace my french canadian heritage. This would all be made MUCH easier if we could have unviersal translators - then nobody would judge anybody on account of their terrible southern Ontario accents, and everyone would get along smashingly.

Speaking of universal translators. . . Capt. Janeway's waiting for me on Mike's portable DVD player. . .
***END TRANSMISSION***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sonyfan you pimp!
bri you suck, why haven't you seen 'Les Boys'! it was more popular than frigin Titanic (in Quebec)